Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Dogs don't generalize

Welp, I just tested Gooses resources guarding on my sister and its back to square one with people other than me. I have been doing a ton of trading games but mainly with me. I had a a friend of mine work with him a little once or twice but besides that it was mostly just me. I gave Goose and Billy each a rawhide chew and they went off to chew them. I gave my sister a little piece of what I was eating and told her to go up to Goose take the bone, give the treat, then right away give the bone back. As soon as she started walking towards him snatched up the treat and ran away! So we made a training session out of it. Got really good treats (pieces of chicken) and first just had her walk near him and toss him chicken. Once he got used to that I had her go up to him slowly and just feed a treat from her hand without taking the bone. Then once he was comfortable with that I had her take the bone and feed the treat right away and give the bone back right away. Finally she was able to walk swiftly up to him, take the bone, wait a second, feed the treat, wait another second, and then give the bone back. This was all within probably about ten minutes or less. He picked it up quickly since its the exact same game I play with him. Just like a dog will learn a trick in a new environment quicker then it took them to initially learn the trick in the first environment. So hopefully Goose will generalize that any person coming towards him when he has a toy or chew is a good thing not just me. I'm gonna make it a point to have as many people as I can play the game with him. OHHH Gooey AKA Thug as he was known at the breeders:)

AT LEAST HE'S CUTE!Note the ears:)

No comments:

Post a Comment